Assisting Local Nonprofits and Area Students
Founded in 1945 the foundation awarded its first two grants for $100 each in 1946. We’ve come a long way since then!
The General Endowment Fund was the first fund created when the Leelanau Township Community Foundation was established in 1945. Grants using the interest from this endowment fund help local nonprofit organizations that sustain youth and elders, assist with education, health care, recreation and the arts.
We make additional grants from the funds we manage. During the first quarter of 2016 we made grants totaling $103,674.
Grants from the General Endowment Fund and the Youth Advisory Council to the following recipients:
- Village of Northport to assist in cleaning up the yard and brush waste site north of Northport Creek Golf Course - $32,700
- Village of Northport for maintenance on the existing Nagonaba Trail - $3,500
- Village of Northport for Cars in the Park - $1,000
- The Northport Promise - $10,700 for promotion of a raffle of a Mustang GT350r
- Northport Public School for a solar project proposed by senior Caleb Brown - $10,000. The project also received a $2,500 grant from the foundation's Youth Advisory Council.
- Leelanau Christian Neighbors Northport Food Pantry - $5,000
- Northport Youth Sailing School for scholarships and equipment - $2,460 plus a grant of $1,400 for scholarships for Leelanau Township students.
- Saving Birds Thru Habitat for educational DVDs - $1,755
- Zonta Club of Leelanau County - This grant was from the foundation's Youth Advisory Council - $450.
- Northport Public School for safety gear for soccer players - $300
Grants from Designated Funds included:
- Basil Antennuci Leelanau Children's Center Scholarship Fund - $3,000
- Leelanau Township Healthcare Fund - $3,000
- Saving Birds Thru Habitat Fund - $1,345
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Fund - $621
- Northport Community Arts Center Endowment Fund for auditorium maintenance - $23,873
Grants from scholarship funds managed by the Leelanau Township Community Foundation will be announced in late May. Scholarship funds include:
- The Northport Promise
- Anson and Ruth Solem Science Scholarship Fund
- Alice Busby Scholarship Fund
- Edwin Suddard and Ruth Suddard Kellogg Fund
- Florence F. Evett Scholarship Fund
- Florence Hanes Scholarship Fund
- George Wrisley and Carolyn Travis Anderson Family Community Endowment Fund
- Kreig Leabo Scholarship Fund
- Native American Fund
- Sue Hirschfield Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Winfield H. and Dr. Grace Song Line Fund
- Dr. James Kolberg Medical Scholarship