Assisting Local Nonprofits and Area Students
Founded in 1945, the foundation awarded its first two grants for $100 each in 1946. We’ve come a long way since then!
The General Endowment Fund was the first fund created when the Leelanau Township Community Foundation was established in 1945. Grants using the interest from this endowment fund help local nonprofit organizations that sustain youth and elders, assist with education, health care, recreation and the arts.
We make additional grants from the funds we manage. During the first quarter of 2017 we made grants totaling $55,838.00.
Grants from the General Endowment Fund and the Youth Advisory Council to the following recipients:
- Northport Arts Association grant to fund four exhibits in Summer 2017 - $9,700
- Northport Arts Association for Leelanau UnCaged 2017 - $4,000
- Northport Arts Association for the installation of a mural on the north wall of the Northport Marina - $6,500
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum for the Northport Shipwreck Expedition - $1,500 plus a grant of $1,500 from the foundation's Youth Advisory Council
- Northport Energy for educational materials - $2,938
- Village of Northport funds for the creation of a rain garden in Northport, on behalf of the Environmental Action Friends - $4,000
- Village of Northport for continuing upgrade to the Nagonaba Trail system - $7,700
- Cars in the Park 2017 - $1,000
- Village of Northport for conduit to install streetlights on Nagonaba St. - $51,000
- Northport Youth Sailing School for scholarships and equipment - $3,400 plus a grant of $2,100 for scholarships for Leelanau Township students.
- Northport Creek Golf Course for driving range equipment - $5,000
- Leelanau Township grant for holding tank and ADA bathroom at the Omena Firehall - $4,000
- Northport Public School for sewing classes - $1,000
Grants from Designated Funds included:
- Basil Antennuci Leelanau Children's Center Scholarship Fund - $2,700
- Saving Birds Thru Habitat Fund - $1,000
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Fund - $652
- Northport Community Arts Center Endowment Fund for auditorium maintenance - $24,407
- Koenig Northport Community Arts Center Performing Arts Endowment - $5,597
Grants from scholarship funds managed by the Leelanau Township Community Foundation will be announced in late May. Scholarship funds include:
- The Northport Promise
- Anson and Ruth Solem Science Scholarship Fund
- Edwin Suddard and Ruth Suddard Kellogg Fund
- Florence F. Evett Scholarship Fund
- Kreig Leabo Scholarship Fund
- Winfield H. and Dr. Grace Song Line Fund