Enhancing Lives. Building Community.
Since 1945, over three and a half million dollars in grants have helped fund important programs and projects in our community. Our General Endowment Fund was the first fund created when the Leelanau Township Community Foundation was established. Grants using the interest from this endowment fund help local nonprofit organizations that sustain youth and elders, assist with education, health care, recreation and the arts. Programs and projects we fund enhance the lives of everyone in the community with a special focus on our most vulnerable populations, youth and elders.
In addition to support from the General Endowment Fund, targeted grant making programs are supported by monies from the Youth Endowment Fund.
Apply for a Grant
2018 Grant Application (PDF)
2018 Grant Follow-Up Report (PDF)
Call us at (231) 386-9000 or download a Grant Application (above). Eligible organizations and individuals include:
- Tax exempt nonprofits, as described under Section 501(c)3 of the IRS code, that operate within Leelanau Township or serve a significant number of Leelanau Township residents.
- Local educational institutions and municipalities seeking funds for projects not otherwise tax supported.
- Individuals seeking higher education assistance and who meet the eligibility requirements of the specific scholarship fund to which they apply.
Grants are reviewed and distributed six times a year (January, March, May, July, September, November). Scholarship applications are due in April each year. More information on scholarships can be found on our Scholarship page. Successful grant recipients are required to provide the Foundation with a Grant Follow-Up Report (PDF form available above).
Leelanau Township Community Foundation Funding Standards
We give priority to proposals that:
- Address emerging or unmet needs
- Enhance co-operation and collaboration among organizations
- Take a new approach to remedy a chronic problem
- Focus on prevention
- Promote volunteerism and community involvement
- Benefit a number of people
- Encourage people to help themselves
We don't fund:
- Private individuals other than scholarship recipients
- Requests for assistance in eliminations existing financial obligations
- Religious programs serving a specific denomination
- Activities designed to influence legislation or an election
- Request for multi-year grants
The Leelanau Township Community Foundation serves as a sounding board for strategies that improve the community. Individuals with an idea for an initiative are encouraged to call the Foundation, as are those who wish to apply for a grant. Call (231) 386-9000 or visit our Contact Page to send us an email.