Since 1945, the Leelanau Township Community Foundation has given over $4 million dollars in grants to the community in ways that significantly change lives.
The mission of the Leelanau Township Community Foundation shall be:
- To help meet the needs of the residents of Leelanau Township;
- To build diverse permanent endowment funds from a wide range of donors to meet the ever-changing needs of the Community;
- To seek local volunteers to help in community ventures via their involvement in proactively determining local needs then aiding in the development of programs of fulfillment;
- To develop community understanding of the role of charitable giving within a local environment that can fulfill local community needs; and
- To involve the youth by teaching them their role in making a positive difference in the community and empowering them in the process of grant making and leadership.
The vision and purpose of the Leelanau Township Community Foundation is to be the lead organization for people of all means to make a lasting contribution to the Leelanau Township communities. To support local community organizations and projects that promote:
- Youth education and development
- Health and wellness care
- Economic vitality
- Environmental stewardship
- Quality recreation
- Cultural awareness
- Community fun
The Leelanau Township Community Foundation is the third oldest community foundation in Michigan. Established in 1945, it started with a gift of $35,000 (over $250,000 in today's dollars) from Francis H. Haserot in memory of his long-time friend and business associate, Gilman Marsten Dame.
Now in our 73rd year, we see many examples of the benefit of Mr. Haserot's foresight in establishing an endowment fund. Subsequent donations from many individuals have helped grow that initial investment and today the Foundation has over $5 million in assets and has given away $4 million. Our annual grants have benefited many local nonprofit organizations, schools, and municipalities, and have helped many students pay for their education.
Each year the Foundation's General Endowment Fund provides grants that make a significant difference in the health and well-being of people who live in Leelanau Township. We are dedicated to continuing this commitment.
To read more about our history, please click the link below:
Designing and Achieving Our Full Potential: 2012 and 2018
In 2012, for the first time in Leelanau/Northport history, two local units of government and a nonprofit community corporation came together to help realize their full potential. Out of this came a full report that represents the combined wisdom and talent in the Village of Northport, Leelanau Township, and the Leelanau Township Community Foundation, fully aligned and dedicated to strengthening their common good. To read or download this report, please click the link below:
In late 2017 and early 2018, the Leelanau Township Community Foundation, Leelanau Township, and Village of Northport supported a second community collaborative effort to identify community priorities and develop strategies that will result in improvements to the region. Several methods were utilized to gather community input including a community meeting, interviews, focus groups, and an online survey. To read and download this new report, please click the link below: